Recorded at AIHce EXP 2023
This session will be an interactive presentation on the OEHS challenges associated with the climate change impacts. Topics include: 1) the biological, chemical, and physical hazards that are worsening because of global warming, 2) the predicted impacts on the day-to-day work of OEHS professionals and those we serve, and 3) what we can do to cope with our new reality. Hazards for discussion include: a) infectious disease, b) wildfire by-products, c) severe weather, d) thermal stress, and e) affect on indoor air quality from changing carbon dioxide concentrations. This presentation is designed to improve OEHS professionals' ability to anticipate and recognize climate change hazards in their areas of responsibility.
Upon completion of the session, the participant will be able to:
• Describe the OEHS hazards that arise from climate change impacts.
• Review the who, what and where that will be impacted by climate change hazards.
• Outline emergency planning recommendations to prepare for severe weather, wildfires, and infectious diseases.
• Use modeling resources to determine thermal stress risk at worksites.
• Summarize the applicable regulations and guidelines for the control of climate change hazards.
Clint Smith, MS, CIH, CSP
Doug Fallon, CIH, CSP