Recorded at AIHce EXP 2023
Ventilation is a defense mechanism to mitigate airborne hazards produced during research activities in laboratories. Laboratory ventilation systems can fall victim to ineffective operation, posing a risk to researchers. This presentation outlines how laboratory professionals can employ a Smart Labs program to plan, assess, optimize, and manage high-performance laboratories. This includes: 1) piloting a laboratory ventilation risk assessment for identifying airborne hazards; and 2) informing dynamic demand-based ventilation to enhance laboratory safety and energy efficiency. Topics to be discussed include: a) conducting a laboratory ventilation risk assessment; b) performing a series of laboratory surveys; c) assigning each laboratory characteristic with a risk control band; and d) a demonstration on the use of the Laboratory Ventilation Risk Assessment Tool (Smart Labs Toolkit). This tool guides users through the steps of a laboratory ventilation risk assessment and provides ASHRAE laboratory ventilation design levels to calculate recommended air change rates based on the laboratory's risk assessment.
Upon completion of the session, the participant will be able to:
• Recognize the benefits of implementing a Smart Labs program.
• Enhance the efficacy of laboratory ventilation systems.
• Strengthen the health and safety of laboratory staff.
• Perform a laboratory ventilation risk assessment.
• Define the role industrial hygienists have in the efficiency of labs.
• Discuss the importance of ventilation best practices in laboratories.
• Implement an effective Smart Labs program.
• Manage energy consumption and carbon emissions in lab activities.
• Recognize the impact facility operations have on climate change .
• Assess lower operating costs for laboratory ventilation systems.