Reusable elastomeric half mask respirators (EHMRs) can be used during routine and surge situations in health delivery settings. As a result of EHMRs experiencing additional use during the COVID-19 pandemic, this webinar assists employers in adding EHMRs as a part of their respiratory protection program (RPP).
Attendees will learn about relevant advancements in EHMR models for source control considerations and receive resources published or funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) that show the use of different models in healthcare settings. Then, gaps and barriers to developing and implementing an EHMR program are discussed including methods to select jobs appropriate for EHMR use, common scenarios for which an EHMR can be used, access and time for fit testing employees, and possible approaches to distribution.
These topics lead into an interactive discussion of EHMR program maintenance. In addition to NIOSH resources, lessons learned from healthcare and public safety organizations who implemented EHMRs are shared. Topics include decision making around disinfection, cleaning, and storage products; guidance developed and used to disinfect and clean EHMRs; and how the workforce overcame any encountered barriers to using EHMRs (e.g., communication issues). This session ends with lessons learned around improving the sustainability of EHMR use in the workplace, using select case examples and experiences of over 40 organizations. By attending this session, professionals will be able to use concepts discussed to update their own RPP to support sustained use of EHMRs in their workplace.
After this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the potential advantages and challenges to widespread EHMR use in respective healthcare and public safety settings to make appropriate decisions around EHMR selection and use on the job
- Summarize EHMR implementation trends in healthcare and public safety settings
- Examine cultural barriers that may impact employee use of EHMRs
- Outline best practices relevant to your own organization for the successful deployment of EHMRs
Presentation Date: 7/27/2023
- Emily J. Haas, PhD
- Lee A. Greenawald, PhD
- Veronica Villalon, CMLSO
- David Manley, BHS, EMT-P, MTSP-C, NHDP-BC