Recorded at AIHce EXP 2021
This education session will review the following ANSI standards: 1) ANSI/ASSP Z117.1 2016 Safety Requirements for Entering Confined Spaces; and 2) ANSI Z390.1, Accepted Practices for Hydrogen Sulfide Safety Training Programs. The presentations will focus on: a) Z117.1 alignment with OSHA and NFPA confined space standards; b) a prevention through design confined space philosophy; c) using a confined space hazard evaluation to identify and eliminate hazards prior to entry; d) specific tools/checklists for confined space determination, reclassification, permitting, and rescue preparedness; e) hydrogen sulfide as a significant cause of confined space related deaths; and f) the benefits and impacts that Z117.1 and Z390.1 can have on confined space entry programs.
Upon completion of the session, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate the precautions covered under Z390.1 and Z117.1.
- Make confined space determinations, classifications, and reclassifications.
- Implement a process for identification, evaluation, and control of hazards.
- Perform permitting and communication of confined space hazards.
- Plan for rescue in the event of a confined space emergency.
Michael Palmer, CIH, CSP
William Walker, CIH, CSP