Recorded at AIHce EXP 2021
Technological and economic influences have precipitated changes in work organization and work time. Likewise, worker well-being is influenced by increased stress, an aging workforce, and the management of chronic disease. OSH professionals can address the changing workforce by using a Total Worker Health® (TWH) approach. TWH is a new and developing program concept that takes OSH to the next level to address the needs of a changing workforce. A TWH program acknowledges that workplace S&H risks are influenced by multiple factors (on and off the job) such as environment, social conditions and personal health behaviors. This session provides an introduction to TWH and provides some TWH practices that can make the work environment and work processes more health promoting.
Upon completion of the session, the participant will be able to:
- Provide examples of how work and the workforce are changing.
- Discuss emerging issues in worker well-being.
- Describe how the OSH professional can respond to a changing workforce.
- Recognize the rationale for Total Worker Health practices.
- Provide examples of a TWH approach in an OSH program.
- Identify steps to introduce TWH practices into a workplace.
Jennifer Cavallari, ScD, CIH