Recorded at AIHce EXP 2021
The HearWell program was developed using the Total Worker Health® approach of the Center for the Promotion of Health in the New England Workplace (CPH-NEW). HearWell was developed for transportation maintenance workers exposed to noise while repairing and maintaining roadways. The goal of HearWell was to improve upon hearing protection device (HPD) use and hearing health knowledge. Worksites were randomized to receive the HearWell training video and noise scheme or an industry standard video. Surveys (before and after the training) assessed worker attitudes using the Beliefs About Hearing Protection and Hearing Loss Scale (BAPHLS). The worker designed HearWell training improved hearing climate and some, but not all hearing and HPD attitudes.
Upon completion of the session, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the CPH-NEW Healthy Workplace Participatory Program.
- Apply CPH-NEW HearWell program to hearing health.
- Explain how barriers to using HPDs were addressed using TWH.
- Discuss the Beliefs About Hearing Protection and Hearing Loss Scale.
- Assess hearing conservation programs using BAHPHLS.
- Identify steps to introduce TWH practices into workplace programs.
Jennifer Cavallari, ScD, CIH